Wednesday, May 23, 2012

OK. So, I Cheated Once.

It happened kind of suddenly.  I didn't make the approach.  He did.  I was at the gym last week and I saw him watching me.  He didn't say anything, while I was working out.  But, later, as I was leaving,  he said, "Hello."   I had had an earlier approach by email from another guy at the gym, but I didn't respond.  It is easier to say "no" when the proposition comes in an email.  However, a face to face encounter is more difficult to ignore.

Besides, he seemed quite nice - tall, dark and handsome with the appropriate mysterious accent.  It's not British.  I'm guessing something East and South.  We talked a little and then arranged to meet this morning.  He wanted my mobile number, but, of course, I don't know it.  So, I took his and said I'd text him later.  I'm sure he thought I was lying, but I did and things were set.

So, after Rob left for work this morning, I showered, got dressed and headed out to meet up.  It's been a couple of months.  So, you know, it was kind of time, but I wasn't sure I was ready.  I was somewhat nervous.

I mean, Russel and I had built up a such a relationship over the past year and I didn't think I was going to be able to replace such a fabulous personal trainer.  Russel helped me shed 15 kgs, drop 5 inches from my waist and when we were walking up all those hills in Hong Kong during our stop over on the way to London, I wasn't even puffed when we reached the top.  So, my investment in Russel's and Thorndon City Fitness' bank accounts had really paid off.

I had no problem finding a gym here in London - loads to choose from.  I'm no gym bunny.  So, I just picked the one that was closest to our flat, LA Fitness.  The fees were about the same as in New Zealand, but close proximity was the selling point.  The further away the gym is the less likely I am to go.

My appointments with Russel were an added plus because they ensured I turned up.  It worked well and spending an hour a day, two days a week with Russel meant that I saw him more than most of my friends.  We ended up talking about all kinds of things - me about Rob, family and work, him about his fiancee, family, sports and how if I'd cut down on the wine I'd lose weight faster.

I know I was paying.  I know I was one of many of Russel's clients and all that, but when I arranged the appointment with the Personal Trainer at LA Fitness, I felt I was somehow cheating...... on Russel.

So, today, was the day I was moving on - maybe.  Today, I was going to see if Mr Way Fit was going to be able to fill Russel's shoes.  I won't use his first name, because I don't know him well and I hope I'm not using his last name.  "Way Fit" was where his last name should be on his business card, but I sincerely hope that's a marketing thing.  Otherwise.... well, that would be a bit odd.

First thing, he did was ask me if I had eaten breakfast, just like Russel.  Russel gave up eventually though, because normally I don't.  However, today, I had.  So, Mr Way Fit was pleased.  He then got me on the cross trainer, just like Russel did the first day.   This was so I could warm up and we could talk about my goals.

Uh, oh, 'goals' again.  What is it with goals?  Personal trainers are obsessed.

Russel had had a similar obsession when I started with him, but I don't have fitness goals.  I had one back then - lose 10 kgs, but I'd done that and more.  So, what could I tell Mr Way Fit?  I said, I didn't have any.  I could see on his face that he now thought I was going to be a chore.  I could have told him how Russel coped, but I thought it a good test to see if he was as good as Russel.

Russel's solution was simply to make goals up for me.  He never told me that he had done so, but I started to figure it out.  Russel's greatest achievement (or was it mine?) was getting me to do pull ups.  Early on, I'd made the mistake of saying I had never in my life been able to do even one pull up.

That became one of my Russel goals, although I didn't figure it out until much later.  To give him his well deserved due Russel achieved that goal.  By the time I left Wellington, I was able to do six pull ups before the arms gave out and that was without any assistance.  Good work Russel!!

Anyway, the talking with Mr Way Fit was done.  I did push ups with turning hand things on the floor.  I had to do step up things with weights in my hands.  There were squats - I hate squats, my hips don't work like that.   Then I had to step skip with the weights.  I was supposed to do that for 30 seconds.  On and on I skipped, then he says, "15 seconds to go".  Mr Way Fit was lying to me.  Russel used to play that trick too, so I learned to count!

The sweat was pouring, I was huffing - just a bit.   No, I was dying.  Mr Way Fit was trying to kill me!

There are mirrors everywhere in LA Fitness.  I'm not a fan, but at one point thanks to those wall to wall mirrors I saw that little muscle in the back of my lower leg.  The muscle I discovered I had one day on the way to the gym a few months after starting.  Rob had dubbed it my 'Russel Muscle'.  Anyway, the reminder of my previous success spurred me on.  I lived, but I know I was step skipping for over a minute.

Next it was on to the bike, but it wasn't just peddling, it was arm exercises with weights at the same time.   OMG!  I thought, "Jeez, I had told Mr Way Fit I didn't want to lose any more weight and at this rate I'm going to lose another 2 kgs just this morning."

Finally, we finished the bike stuff and it was back to the mat.  It was only 35 minutes into the session.  I wondered what next?  Then, will I survive?  Fortunately, for this bit I just had to lay there.  Mr Way Fit proceeded to roll a foam cylinder up and down my legs - front and back.  It was to lengthen my muscles.  It was a little weird, I mean what happened to just stretching, but hey all I had to do was lay there.  So, it was ok with me.

And, with that we were done.  I was surprised, but happy.  We went off to the little room for the sales pitch.  Mr Way Fit was going to put a programme together and help me with my diet.  Good luck with that, eh Russel?  I lie on those food forms.

The programme was 12 weeks and you could have 1, 2, or 3 sessions a week.  In any event, he wanted me to come to the gym at least four times a week.  I wondered what part about not losing anymore weight didn't he get.   And, the price?  Just £50 a session on top of the gym fees, gulp!  

He asked me which of those options would work best for me.   I thought, "If I want to live, NONE",  but said, "The 12 sessions over 12 weeks, if I'm going to do any."  Then he asked when we could start.  Pause, hmmm.  I used my mother.

"Ah, my mother is coming to visit next month and then well, I might be going away.  So, maybe we can start in July?"

He said he would call me in July to arrange something.  I probably will go back for the 12 sessions, but then again, maybe I can convince Russel to move to London.  Then, I wouldn't have to feel like I was cheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment