Monday, July 23, 2012

Just In Time - It's Summer!

Olympics Count Down in Trafalgar Square
The Great British Summer all the advertising has been talking about has finally arrived.

Well, I guess we can't be sure it's 'great' yet, but it's started.  It was sort of here yesterday, but today there is no doubt.  It's Summer beautiful - not a cloud in the sky and warm, very warm.  And, it's supposed to last until Friday!

Yeah, I know, that doesn't seem to be anything to get excited about, but hey, this is the longest hot dry spell we've had since late May.   June was the wettest on record and July was heading that way until today.

To celebrate arrival of The Great British Summer, I went on a long walk through town after my torture session at the gym this morning - yep back to a trainer and it's Mr Way Fit.  I wanted to pick up our Eurostar tickets for Paris next month.  So, it was off to St Pancras International Station and then a walk back home before my legs ceased up.  Mr Way Fit IS definitely trying to kill me.  For three days after the first session last week, standing up hurt, sitting down hurt, walking hurt, breathing hurt, basically if I moved it hurt!

Anyway, the walk in the sunshine was quite enjoyable.  I notice quite the buzz developing around town with the London 2012 Olympics only four days way.   There were people everywhere and most weren't speaking with British accents or even speaking English for that matter.  Cops were everywhere and they were being put to good use.  I literally saw four instances of cops holding maps that had been handed to them by tourists and London's finest were pointing out the way to this or that in baby English.  These weren't the cops carrying the rifles or machine guns or what ever those big guns are that you see wandering the streets these days.  Those cops were not surprisingly being given a wide berth.

The media are telling us that chaos is developing on the roads, although I witnessed none of that today.  The Olympic Lanes that are being set up to ensure athletes get to their events mean a large chunk of the London road system will be off limits to most come Wednesday.  If you stray into one of these lanes, it's an instant £130 fine.  Cabbies are most upset and some are going on holiday for the duration of the Games or at least that's what one told me the other night.

Most of St James's Park Lost to Olympic Pink
According to the BBC, the setting up of the Olympic Lanes and the last minute work on roads has meant that four days before it all starts, some  commuters coming into town this morning waited in queues of traffic for over two hours.  That's nothing compared to LA, I know, but it's a bit long for London.

Since we don't have a car, of course, I'm not all that fussed about the chaos on the roads, but I am a little miffed about how large sections of the parks have been sealed off.  They've  been blocked off for weeks with ugly chain-link fences.  Until now it wasn't such a problem, but now that Summer is finally here, a walk around St James's Park today would have been nice.

Personally, I think London has made a mistake with surrounding large sections of many parks like Hyde Park, Russell Square and St James's Park with miles of chain-link fences.  These are some of London's best assets and they are off limits to most these days.

The reality is, I don't much care about the Olympics.  I have ZERO interest in the games.  I could be tempted by the buzz of the streets and the parties, but the crowds make those less tempting.   I think I might just go into hibernation for a few weeks.

It'll all be over in a few weeks and with the UK in a double dip recession, the income from the games is needed.  But, here's hoping Summer lasts through September when things might get back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment